Since 2019, I made a firm decision to live my life on my terms and be everything I always wanted to be. I was tired of going with the flow, because it was leading me nowhere (Read more about it here- Hello 2019). It turned out to be a productive year, I managed to lose 10kgs of weight, went on several dates, made some financial investments, etc. Overall a good year for progress. And as every other human on the planet I had high hopes from 2020 (Read about it here- New year, new me), and had planned few goals. I am loss of word as to how and where do I start summarizing the year that has made history. Let me give it a try- It started with me getting ghosted yet one more time by a very promising date, which followed by my company informing that they’re laying off people (I was of course one of those people that they decided to lay off even though I had been their most valuable employee) and I lost few friends. All this happened within the first two months and I remember thinking, “Well, it can’t get worse than this”. How naive, and innocent I was 10 months back! Here are few of my goals and how they turned out to be:
- The first goal I had in my mind was to be more Social: I don’t know if I should laugh or cry at this, because it was first time in my life I hadn’t been outside in sun for 4 consecutive months. Being social only happened through social media this year. Somehow, the goal turned out to be okay to live with my own self, which I think everyone can agree, is much more difficult than being social.
- I think every living being on this planet and outside this planet had this as their resolution- Travel more: I hear the Gods laughing, and now I am laughing too. As travelling was out of question, going for walks in my locality became a thing. I have to say I have underestimated a simple activity of going on a walk alone or with loved ones.
- Become a better Front-End Developer: In the middle of the year I had an epiphany that I would like to be a Designer. Okay, it was not an epiphany, I always wanted to be a designer but it seemed like good time to take charge and turn the course of events when I actually can.
- Dating: Yeah, that’s the end of the joke.
- Read more books: Ha! The only goal I seemed to have completed without fail. I read about 30 books this year and it was my only escapism from the real world. It was highlight of my whole year.
- Stay healthy and not gain weight all over again: This was the hardest task this year. I somehow managed to lose more weight while quarantining, but my definition of staying healthy has now changed forever. Being healthy doesn’t only involve losing weight. Its physical, psychological, emotional, and includes many more factors than only exercising.
Things turned out to be okay for me. I wouldn’t say I am doing great, but neither I am doing bad, and I’ll take that any day after seeing what this year has been like. It seems I’ve lived multiple lifetimes, I’ve matured beyond my age, my perspective, priorities have been completely altered in only last few months. January me seems like a teenager me, who doesn’t know what’s waiting for her and December me is a wise adult now. And somehow resolutions and goal setting seems like a bad idea right now but, hey, even having a vague idea of what you want and who you want to be will take you to places you never have imagined. And I’m pretty sure you’ll come back as a much better person than you had anticipated.
So lets get ready for some more uncertainty. We’ve got this!
PS: This post was inspired by recent John Green’s vlog of the same name. Its quite funny.