I’m a very very privileged woman. I had parents who treated my brother and I equally, I had all the freedom in the world. I had the right to education that I want, career that I want. I am privileged enough to get to work and be an independent woman. Did you notice how being treated equally to my sibling, having freedom and liberty, the right to education and career I have to term as a privilege? When all of these are just fundamental rights for being a human on this planet? Yeah, welcome to my world!
Well, I was lucky enough I had those rights, which not all women in our society have. Even though I had almost everything really easily accessible to me I still face some subtle sexism on everyday basis. Yeah, a woman, in 21st century, living in one of the most popular metropolitan city in the world, around well educated people, has to still deal with this, can you believe it? Even I cannot at times. So, here they are:
- There are many men, who are wonderful! They understand and are always there for your support but then there are also guys who say things like this:
- “We also go through shit, why we dont have a special Men’s day”: At least one guy says this to me on every Women’s day. Dude, there is a International Men’s day. You’re just not woke enough to know this.
- “You’d look better if you smile”: Just tell me one thing how many times you have asked random men on the internet to smile, so that they look good? And, you know, I am not here on this earth to only look good. If you want me to smile, probably, be nice to me.
- “You’re different from other girls”: What’s that supposed to mean? What do you think all girls are like? All girls are different man. Don’t stereotype them.
- “Woah! calm down. Are you on your periods”: Okay, so the only reason I can be sad, angry, irritable, frustrated is because I am on my periods. Nice! Did you ever think it can also be because I have to deal with guys like you?
- “I don’t understand, if you’re single why we can’t date”: Because I am not fucking interested. This is everything that’s wrong with our society today, so many guy’s cant take no for an answer.
- Women say sexist things all the time to their fellow girls, and they don’t even realize it:
- “When I was your age, I was married with kids”: Sorry, you had to go through that hell in such a young age. I’m going to wait.
- “How are you going to find a man if you are so over qualified?”: So, everything I do from the day I am born, how much I weigh, how tall I am, my skin complexion, how domestic and adjustable I am, how less career oriented I am, my every damn decision about my life is going to determine what kind of a guy I am going to find, because that’s what I am supposed to live for.
- “You should get married, this is the right age. You biological clock is ticking”: I am not sure if I want kids.
- “Whats the use of being a woman if you don’t want children”: Thanks, for reminding me. Apparently, nobody lets me forget that.
- “You earn how much? You should take a break. Just marry a rich man”: I want to be that rich man.
Well, there are many more, but enough for today. I should probably go and celebrate my special day as I have to get back to these kind of people tomorrow again.
Happy Women’s Day! 🙂